Cappella della Beata Lucia (1710)
This chapel in the right
transept was originally dedicated to St Catherine of Alexandria.
Cardinal Giuseppe Sacriponte acquired it in the early 18th century as a
burial chapel for his family in Narni. He re-dedicated it to the
Blessed Lucy after he had obtained the confirmation of her cult for
Narni and Viterbo in 1710. He acquired part of the relics of the
Blessed Lucy from
Ferrara in that year, and commissioned the remodelling of the chapel that was to house them.
In ca. 1715, Cardinal Sacriponte commissioned the decoration of the chapel from Francesco Trevisani. (This artist had decorated the Cardinal's Cappella di San Giuseppe at Sant' Ignazio in Rome in 1713). Trevisani's works in the Cappella della Beata Lucia are:
the altarpiece of the stigmatisation of the Blesed Lucy;
the frescoes in the vaults and cupola, which depict scenes from her life;
the panel on the left of the death of St Joseph (the name saint of Cardinal Sacripante); and
the panel on the right of the mystical marriage of St Catherine of Alexandria (the previous titular of the chapel).
The reliquary on the altar, which now contains all the relics of the Blessed Lucy, was brought here from Ferrara on 1935.